POSTED BY: Big Green Egg Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of John Cox, Chef/Partner of The Bear and Star (Los Olivos, CA).
Known for his acclaimed ventures in micro-regional cuisine, Chef John Cox earned accolades for his work at Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur and Cultura in Carmel before concepting and launching The Bear and Star in Los Olivos, California, alongside the Fess Parker family in 2017. At The Bear and Star, Chef Cox presents “refined ranch cuisine,” inspired by Texan family recipes and a California sensibility.
- 1 6-9 lbs. brisket (best available preferably Wagyu)
- 1 lb salt
- 1 cup ground black pepper
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- ¼ cup Paprika
- ¼ cup ground white pepper
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup ground mustard
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking using the convEGGtor at 275°F/135°C, using soaked oak or mesquite chips.
- Trim excess fat off brisket to make smooth-even surface. Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the brisket well with the seasoning mix (reserve any remaining for future brisket).
- Cook the brisket until the internal temperature reaches 203°F/9°5C. This usually takes 8-12 hours. Your brisket will hit a “stall” somewhere during the cook; you will notice the internal temperature increasing quickly and then plateauing when moisture starts to form on the outside of the brisket. Be patient – it can take a few hours to get past this stage. To speed up the cooking and reduce the darkness of the outer bark you can wrap the brisket in butcher paper and put back on the EGG.