- 4 tbsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 6 large beef simmering short ribs (approx. 1.5kg total)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Prepared Seed Mustard or your Favorite Mustard
- Prepare your Big Green Egg for indirect cooking with the ConvEGGtor with Big Green Egg Oak & Hickory Charcoal and steady temperature to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. If desired additional smoking chips can be included in with the charcoal.
- Mix together the paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme, and cayenne.
- Liberally coat all surfaces of the ribs with this spice mixture.
- Place the ribs on the cooking grid. Lower the lid and cook at 225 degrees for 6 hours, or until the internal temperature of the ribs reach a minimum of 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the ribs are cooking, combine the maple syrup, bourbon, brown sugar, and mustard in a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook this mixture until only just under 1 cup of this mixture remains. Reducing the heat to medium-low in the process to prevent the mixture from boiling over. Stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool in the pot at room temperature.
- Remove the ribs from the cooking grid and place them in a small cooler for at least 1 hour. This process will not only continue to raise the temperature of the ribs, but also help to make them more tender. The smaller the cooler the better (not too much excess space around the ribs).
- Plate the ribs and drizzle the reduced maple and bourbon sauce over them. Serve immediately.